Year 8 Options 2020
You will be starting your GCSEs at the beginning of Year 9 to give you three years to prepare. The options process takes place during the Spring term in Year 8. All students should take courses that reflect their strengths and interests whilst bearing in mind the importance of a broad and balanced range of subjects. All students will be interviewed as part of the options process to help ensure that they follow the most appropriate courses.
All students at Capital City Academy will be following one of 3 pathways:
Students selected for this pathway will study the full suite of English Baccalaureate subjects. This pathway is for our higher ability students but can also be chosen by students selected for the General pathway. Within this pathway, community languages will be offered as an extra curricular option.
Students in this pathway may choose to study the full suite of English Baccalaureate subjects, or may choose to take Religious Education and one of the English Baccalaureate subjects.
Students on this pathway are being supported by the provision of a Curriculum Support Programme to maximise their attainment across their other subject choices.
1) All students will study the core programme:
- English Language & Literature
- Science - Combined Science GCSE or Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSEs. (This will be decided in Year 11)
- Core PE
- Core PSHE including RE
2) EBacc choice:
- Asset pathway: You will study MFL and choose between History and Geography. CL will be offered as an extra-curricular option.
- General Pathway: You will study a language and History or Geography or you can choose RE instead of one of these.
- Support Pathway: You will choose 2 different subjects, one from each column in the table below.
|Subject 1||Subject 2|
3) All students will choose 2 of the following subjects:
|3D Design / Art / Graphics / Textiles||Media|
|Computing / IMedia||Sociology|
|Hospitality & Catering||Sport|
|Health & Social Care|