|CURRICULUM AREA LEADER||APRIL JONES|
In English pupils follow an engaging and challenging curriculum designed to stimulate intellectual curiosity and develop sophisticated skills in, and understanding of, language use and its effects. We aim to develop our pupils’ literacy skills and encourage them to be life-long learners who read for pleasure and think critically and analytically. Underpinning this ethos, students at Capital City Academy will, from the outset, analyse challenging anchor texts that have canonical value, before tracing links to other related texts, allowing them to understand the development of human thought and to recognise patterns within language use. Our curriculum is designed so that students write extended essays weekly, allowing them to cultivate their resilience and developing rigorous analytical and creative writing skills.
The curriculum in English is designed to enable students to:
- develop the ability to communicate clearly, accurately and effectively when speaking and writing;
- learn how to use a wide range of vocabulary, and correct grammar, spelling and punctuation; develop a personal style and an awareness of the audience being addressed when writing;
- experience a range of literature with a wide variety of appeal drawn from contemporary and modern texts, texts from across the globe and texts which have had a significant influence on our English literary and cultural heritage;
- develop their own interpretation skills and to make insightful, individual responses to texts;
- explore the universality of literature and consider how literature represents the human experience enabling readers to come to a deeper awareness about themselves and their world. Pupils are also encouraged to read widely, both for their own enjoyment and to further their awareness of the ways in which English can be used. Pupils develop analytical and communication skills such as synthesis, inference, and the ability to order facts and present opinions effectively.
Please click on the following links to download the Curriculum and Assessment Maps for English 2017-18.
Key Stage 5 English
Please click on the following links for the 2017-18 KS4 Curriculum Guides.
Please click on the following link for the recommended Reading List.