The Duke of Edinburgh's Award
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DofE) is an achievement award for any young person aged 14-24. A programme of activities develops the mind, body and soul in an environment of social interaction, team working and physical challenge (an expedition). Capital City Academy launched the programme with Year 9s back in early 2015 and since then there has been much interest and enthusiasm in the programme.
Please click on the following link for further details on the scheme.
The DofE comprises four sections:
- Volunteering section covers helping less advantaged people in the local community.
- Physical section gives the opportunity to develop in a physical activity/ sport of their choice.
- Skills section involves participants pursuing a hobby, skill or interest.
- Expedition section encourages participants to learn to navigate using a map and compass and to become self-sufficient whilst exploring the countryside. Participants must plan and execute a self-sufficient expedition within a team of 7.
- Residential (Gold Only) - this section would involve spending 5 days and 4 nights in a new environment.
Students record their progress in hours using an online tool for their Service, Skill and Physical sections. After school classes cover a wide variety of topics in order to prepare participants for the 2 day expedition.
Bronze practice and assessed expeditions will take place nearby at Epping Forest and in the Chiltern Hills near Chesham respectively. During both of these expeditions they are away for 1 night and walking for 2 days.
Silver practice and assessed expeditions will take place in the West Chilterns and the Cotswolds respectively. During both of these expeditions they are away for 3 days and 2 nights.
Gold practice and assessed expeditions will take place in Dartmoor and Luxembourg respectively. During both of these expeditions they will be away for 4 days and 3 nights. For the assessed expedition to Luxembourg they will be walking the entire length of the country!
The DofE is an excellent fit with our vision and values, not least the determination required to successfully complete it.
Mathew Jacomb - email@example.com